South Tyrolean Museum of Culture and Provincial History - Castle TyrolDorf Tirol / Tirolo •
About South Tyrolean Museum of Culture and Provincial History - Castle Tyrol
The Tirol Castle shows and illustrates the history of Tyrol from its beginnings to the present.
As the dynastic fortress of the counts of Tyrol, this castle gave its name to the province. Comprehensive structural analysis research has confirmed the uniqueness of Tyrol Castle as a testimonial to medieval architecture and building technology. Its origins date back to the late 11th century. No other seat of nobility can form such a solid rock memorial to the history of the province as does Tirol Castle. The museum's main focus is the history of the province of Tyrol from its beginnings to modern times. The oldest traces of settlements can be found in the three- apses church on the outer bailey (three churches one on top of the other, dating from 6th –to 11th century). In the south palace there are the 2 Romanesque portals. The two-storeyed chapel is dedicated to St. Pancras and is famous for its gothic frescoes. The alleged wedding chamber of Margareth of Tyrol the so-called Maultasch is situated in the Mushaus. The keep was completed only after 1902 and houses now the history of the 20th century depicted on twenty different levels. The domestic building houses our special exhibitions.