Diocesan Museum Hofburg BrixenBrixen / Bressanone • Hofburgplatz 2
About Diocesan Museum Hofburg Brixen
In the Hofburg - Palazzo Vescovile the Diocesan Museum was founded in 1901.
Founded in 1901, the Diocesan Museum has been situated in the Bishop's Palace in Brixen (Bressanone) since 1976. The Hofburg Castle, residence of the prince-bishops from 1250, was the bishop's seat until 1964. In the Historical Section, furnishings, textiles, construction plans, maps, historical documents, and paintings all bear witness to its history. The Art Section shows the development of sacred artwork from the Romanesque period to the Modern Era with sculptures, paintings, and arts and crafts. The rich collection of Romanesque crucifixes and Madonnas, the wide variety of Gothic sculptures and panel paintings, and the medieval manuscripts all carry a significance that extends beyond the region. Precious golden crosses and works of ivory are displayed in the Cathedral treasury. Late Gothic masterpieces by Michael Pacher and Hans Klocker, of which the museum has choice examples, dominated the artistic production of the region. It was only around 1530 that local art opened up to Renaissance influences arriving from Augsburg and Nuremberg. The visitor's itinerary also passes through the Baroque court church that was decorated by Cristoforo Benedetti, J.G.D. Graßmair and Kaspar Waldmann. The collection of Tyrolean Baroque painters, from which the work of Paul Troger stands out, is of particular significance. The collection includes large-scale cribs realized in 1790 by Franz Xaver Nißl and Alois Probst, as well as cribs of considerable artistic value from the 18th to mid-20th cen.