Castelbello - Schloss KastelbellKastelbell-Tschars / Castelbello-Ciardes •
About Castelbello - Schloss Kastelbell
Castelbello has not only often changed owner but also appearance.
Castelbello di Ciardes stands out on top of a solid cliff. From this position it is possible for all visitors to admire the broad view on forests and vineyards. The castle was mentioned for the first time in documents in 1238 – however, the actual castle was built years before by the Montalban family. It has been part of the Count of Tyrol’s possessions since year 1200. A century later, it became the headquarters of the Castelbello court of justice but was quickly taken over by many aristocratic families. In 1531 the castle was taken over by the Hendl counts that expanded it and renovated it and made it what it is today, 70 m long and 30 m large. The palace is of particular interest with its interiors decorated with frescos and marble renaissance fireplaces. The antique kitchen of the castle has been well preserved. The chapel has probably been there since the castle was first built and contains what remains of a wonderful Romanesque fresco. Notwithstanding two fires that happened in the 19th century that had major consequences on the building, the castle appears still very well preserved. It has been bought by the Italian government that restored it. Since 1999 it is managed by the Castelbello Foundation and is open to the public.