Castel Mareccio - Schloss MaretschBozen / Bolzano • Claudia-de'-Medici-Straße 12
About Castel Mareccio - Schloss Maretsch
Compact and delimited by four circular towers, Castel Mareccio is the only castle in the Bolzano area to not be positioned on a rock and has a great view on the Talferpromenade. Impossible to miss, with the majestic Catinaccio as a backdrop, Castel Marecc
The Castle goes back to the 13th century, the Mareccio family were vassals to the Count of Tyrol. During the 14th century, what used to be a small residential palace was then expanded and became a majestic property. The channel full of water was kept up until 1650. Thanks to Berthold III of Mareccio the property became increasingly important also for the history of the town, in fact, in 1339 he took on the role of Judge of Bolzano. The Mareccio dynasty ended in the 15th century. The current architecture of the castle can be linked mainly to the Modern epoch. The Römer family expanded the castle, added important renaissance frescos and commissioned the construction of the four external towers.